Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Who Is God? (a poem for Helen Anderson, my mama)
By Jolivette Anderson ‘the poet warrior’
©March 2013 

(written to be performed live at the ‘March in March’ commemorating the 100 year anniversary of the March on Washington in 1913 by Women demanding the right to vote)

NOTE: words in quotations are from poems by Maya Angelou (Our Grandmothers) and Ntozake Shange (for colored girls /who’ve considered suicide/ when the rainbow/is enuf)


Esu Elegba
Walks the hallways of Purdue 
He takes my petition to my mothers  -- who
Take my prayers to Olo du ma re – who
Comes back to Purdue
Jumps into my mortal shell – and
Pushes me to tell
Each and every one of you that
GOD, yes, GOD, is a WOMAN too.

GOD is the great Mother, Ye ma ya  -- who
Dwells in the oceans and seas
Swelling our bellies with the 
Promise of future Divinities

GOD is Mama Oshun  -- a –
Warrior woman who would die – or – 
Be killed for what she believes in – JUSTICE. 
EQUALITY.

All the while, 
with sword in hand
with sweet honey 
--- dripping from her lips
To lure the unsuspecting, Ignorance
To entice the ever patronizing tone  --- that ---
Deemed me to be
LESS THAN and somehow 
OUTSIDE OF the
DEFINITION OF --- GOD.

With Her sweetness
She goes in for the kill

GOD is mi ori
Mama O ya
The Great Force of Nature
That is the wind
She makes her way to me as the hurricane --- who --- 
Destroys ignorance and inequality

Yes, GOD is a WOMAN just like me

God was…
A little Black girl
Her hands dark as coal 
Her strength made quiet 
Because of the time she was born into --- in ---  
1920, in the back woods of Louisiana
GOD cleaned homes --- and---
Nursed the children of White people --- who---
Were kind and 
Well intentioned – on --- 
Paved roads to racism  --- but ---
This was nothing new
It was what her Mother --- and ---
Her Mother before her knew

Racism smiles at us – often ---
While it kills our souls --- and ---
Leaves vestiges of generational trauma

--- I AM THE TRAUMA OF MY BLACK MAMAS ---

Excluded from participation
To march on this nation

GOD, oh GOD, 
GOD is a BLACK WOMAN 
Who used her notion of the American Dream
To achieve her goal of ---being---
College Educated 
Having 5 children (with my daddy!)  --- BOTH ---
Being present to raise them

GOD, taught school to Black Children --- who ---
Never had the same opportunities --- but ---
She loved them to a better understanding
Of being Black
By behaving --- with ---
Kindness --- mixed with---
A pinch of CRAZY – and ---
A Heart and Head filled with dignity

YES! God is a Black woman
GOD is the WOMAN who made me
GOD is the WOMEN who made me

And here I stand, microphone in hand
Screaming to Black female deities

!DO NOT BECOME SO TIPSY WITH THE PATRIARCHIAL POWERS YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT YOU CANNOT SEE – THE GOD IN ME!

How DARE you or ANYONE “dare deny me GOD
I WILL GO ALONE AND STAND AS 10,000” STRONG

Wrapped in Black ness
Black History
Black Culture
Black Thought
Honoring the BLACK WOMEN ---who ---
Fought for us to be here today  --- but ---
My dear Ladies, my Sisters in struggle
I am but 
ONE VOICE
ONE WAY OF SEEING

While my reflection is of
Goldleana Harris & Addie McCain
Helen & Rosie Mosley
Jamesetta & Ruthie Mae Anderson
I am also
Ella Baker & Fannie Lou Hamer
Sojourner Truth & Mary McCleod Bethune
I am the 20 young ladies of the Delta Sigma Theatas
The ONLY Black Women’s Organization to march in 1913
--- At the back of the line ---
But, --- who---
do you see, my sisters --- who ---
do you see, 
when you look into the mirror of 
NOW and the mirror of 
WOMENS’ history

I see
Self love --- and ---
Dignity 

I see a 
!BIG BLACK WOMAN!

You must go forth, in your mission STRONG  --- and ---

“find GOD … 
in your SELF --- and ---
Love   ---  HER --- FIERCELY


Find GOD in YOURSELF and Love HER –fiercely.”

No comments:

Post a Comment