Monday, July 10, 2017

Twenty Years Ago,
July 7, 1997:

I witnessed the first Black Mayor, Honorable Harvey Johnson, be inaugurated in Jackson, MS. I remember two things very clearly about that day.

One, I wanted to read a poem but was told no by the organizers, only to realize why on that day. I witnessed Dr. Margaret Walker Alexander recite a poem for the occassion. I was so humbled and grateful to even be taken seriously as a poet in the same city as Mother Margaret. I bowed down in full genuflect to her with a smile on my face and in full acceptance of my place as one who wanted to be one of her 'literary children'.

Two, the White man with a sign, a placard, that said "No good ever came from letting the slaves take over the plantation!" He was being protected by two JPD police officers, I suspect so no one would whip his ass. Both officers were Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment